Wednesday, 3 September 2008

observation

As my mom was driving home from going grocery shopping, we had to turn left from Yellowstone Avenue onto Siphon Street. My mom waited for an oncoming truck which she thought might run us over, anyway we had to wait a little longer because the truck was going slow. I heard her say quietly with some frustration, "You're going slower than all getup." That sounds like a very country-town, farmer thing to say. Although she did grow up on a farm, I don't remember her saying things like that as I was growing up. I wondered if the change could be from the move from the little house in a friendly neighborhood within walking distance to the church, library, and park to the house in the middle of nowhere with nothing in walking distance except for a field. Despite the fact that our neighbors are doctors, engineers, and entrepreneurs in a little gated-community, (so it's not really gated, in gact it only has a little picket fence, but it comes with by-laws outlawing chickens running around, or having junk cars in the back, in fact the garage door can't even be open for an extended period of time without suspicion), the country life is apparently rubbing off on my mother's vocabulary. It's strange how things change!

No comments: